Lentils......Tonight I felt like having some Indian food. So I headed to my pantry and got out a variety of things and started mixing different flavors together. As usual I never measure so these are total estimations of measurements. Experiment yourself and see what you come up with.
This is another very quick recipe. I like to create quick and healthy meals especially in the summer. Here is my recipe:
Lovely Lentils Indian Style1 pound of black lentils - rinsed(these are smaller than brown and green lentils I included a picture of the one I used)
6 cups of filtered water (or a little more if the lentils and potatoes are absorbing it all but are not cooked yet. Be sure to add water slowly you want this recipe to be on the thicker side)
3 medium potatoes cut into small cubes
1 bag of baby carrots (sliced in thin circles)1 pkg of baby spinach (chopped/shredded)
1 container of crumbled feta cheese
olive oil
whole wheat bread or home made or store bought whole wheat tortillas
3 small pats of butter
1/2 to 1 whole small 8 oz can of tomato sauce
1 heaping tsp of ground cumin (more or less to your taste)1/4 cup Bills Best Chik'Nish seasoning (use more or less according to your taste. Try the flavoring and see if it has enough flavor for you)
1/4 to 1/2 cups of dehydrated flakes/granules of garlic (more or less to your taste)
1/4 to 1/2 cups of dehydrated onion flakes (more or less to your taste)
2 heaping Tbsp of garlic powder (more or less to your taste)2 heaping Tbsp of onion powder (more or less to your taste)
2 -1/2 to 3 heaping tsp of Indian curry powder (more or less to your taste)
2- 1/2 to 3 heaping tsp of garam masala seasoning
1-1/2 tsp of paprika
Sea Salt to taste
Note: I always use organic and fresh ingredients whenever I can....
Take your lentils rinse them then add the water and bring them to a boil on the stove. Add your Bills Best Chik'Nish seasoning, dehydrated garlic and onions, garlic and onion powders, Indian curry, garam masala, paprika and cumin. Stir well and continue to simmer the lentils. After they are half cooked add your small pieces of cubed potatoes, your tomato sauce, butter and approx 3 Tbsp of olive oil. Stir well again and cook until the lentils and potatoes are almost cooked. Be sure to add a little boiling water when you need to loosen up the lentils a little. Remember though you want this recipe to be on the thicker side and not runny. Now you may add your salt. You can add more of less seasonings according to your own taste buds as you go along.
Once the mixture is cooked you spread some out on a slice of bread or a tortilla. Drizzle a little olive oil over it, sprinkle a generous amount of feta cheese over the mixture. Slice some baby carrots over the top and shred some baby spinach on top. If you put it on bread cut it into 4 sections so it is easier to eat. If you put it in a tortilla just roll it up like a burrito.
That is all there is to the recipe! I hope you enjoy it and will share your variations with the rest of us! Enjoy!
Dearest Lord, Thank you so much for the many different cultures. Thank you for the variety of foods and flavors we find throughout the world. Thank you for the flavors of other cultures and the wonderful herbs and seasonings they use in their cooking. You are truly and awesome God! In Jesus name I pray, Amen!
No comments:
Post a Comment