Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Taco Salad....

Taco Salad....















I love to make my own creations as well as experiment with new things. This recipe is super simple and making your own taco shells is even easier.

Taco Salad
1 Package of Whole wheat large flour tortillas
1 pound of ground beef or ground buffalo (organic)
1 medium sweet yellow organic onion chopped small
4 large cloves of garlic pressed
1- 8oz package of raw milk sharp cheddar cheese grated
1 small bag or package of baby spinach shredded (usually pre-washed and organic) You may also use organic lettuce for this recipe
5 medium Roma tomatoes (chopped)
1 small container of organic sour cream
1 small jar of organic salsa or homemade salsa
2 packet of taco seasoning (healthy kind ones without bad stuff in it or make your own) (I like to double up on the seasoning it adds more flavor that is why I use two packets)
1 Handful of fresh cilantro leaves

Brown your meat along with the garlic and onion and be sure to break up the meat good. Add the taco seasoning into your meat and then cook as directed. Grate your cheese, chop your tomatoes and shred your spinach/lettuce. Making your taco salad bowls are very easy. I learned this trick several years ago from a food magazine although I don't remember the name of the magazine, sorry. All you need to do is to take a few small soup bowls. The kind of soup bowls I use are ones like restaurants use to make and serve their french onion soup in. I start by lightly spraying the bowls with olive oil. I also lightly spray the tortillas on each side with the olive oil. Then I gently press the tortillas into the bowl with my fingers (don't push too far and be sure not to poke holes into the tortilla) and I try to shape it into the form I want. I do about 5 bowls at a time, place the bowls onto a cookie sheet and then place the cookie sheet in a 350 degree oven for about 5-7 minutes or until I see the edges browned like you see in this picture. After the shells are ready I take them out of the oven and let them sit for a few minutes. After they are cooled down a bit I remove them from the soup bowls. If you remove them too soon they have a tendency to lose their shape so be sure they feel firm before removing them from the bowl. Once your shells are all made place some of the seasoned meat inside, then add your sour cream, salsa, lettuce, tomatoes, cheese and garnish with a few cilantro leaves. That is all there is to it.

Tacos are always a big hit in my home whether it is a taco salad like this, taco dip, hard shell taco or soft shell taco. I can never make enough! I hope you all enjoy this recipe! It is simple and fun!

Dearest Lord, I thank you for the blessing of food! In Jesus name I pray, Amen~

No comments: