Thursday, November 08, 2007

Look at Me While I am Speaking to You, Please....

Look at Me While I am Speaking to You, Please....

















Do you ever find yourself saying this to your children, "Please look at me while I am speaking to you?" I know there are times I find myself saying this to mine. If I find that my children are not giving me the eye contact and attention that I require of them, it takes me only a minute to figure out why. If I think back to the last time they tried to tell me something, I can recall how I was busily distracted with whatever it was I happened to be doing at that time. I admit that if I am not careful, getting wrapped up in doing a project can be an easy thing to do.



















I have always felt that it is important to model, in my own life, the actions and behaviors that I expect from my own children. The motto, "More is caught than taught" holds so much truth to it.
Now of course giving my children eye contact is not required of me, but in doing so I am setting a standard that I want them to follow. If I wish to have my children look at me, when I speak to them, it is wise of me to give them that same courtesy while they are speaking to me. Teaching them this simple common courtesy, at a very young age, will bring forth a very beneficial life long habit. One that will carry over to all areas of their life.





So next time you are talking to your children, and you find that they are not giving you the eye contact that you want and expect. Don't get mad at them. Instead be humble and apologize to them for, all the times you failed to model in your own life, the things you require of them. Then practice, practice and practice some more. Practice makes perfect and over time you will get it right! You will know when you are getting it right because when you look into your mirror you will see your standards being modeled back at you and then you can smile at the results of your hard work! The fruits of your labor do eventually pay off and boy is it ever so sweet!! Here's to looking at you baby......(literally speaking)















Dearest Lord, I pray that you will always use my children to help keep me your humble servant. I never want to be seen as being a prideful person. Nor do I ever want to be too stubborn and unwilling to admit I have faults. When we are blind to our sin then there is no hope of us changing. Change begins when we admit there is a problem. Never allow me to expect more from my children than I am willing or capable of doing myself. I pray that you will always help me guide these precious children in your ways. I pray that for those who are struggling in their own lives that you will reach down and touch them in a special way. Help them to do and be all that you have for them! My goal in life is to always please you, live for you and teach my children to also do the same! May we continue growing in you in a close and personal way today and always! For those who don't know I pray they too will grow to know you in the most personal way! In Jesus name I pray, Amen~

No comments: