(For you Holly)
I started the act of writing notes to my children a few years ago. I usually write them up at night and then I would leave them taped to their doors for them to find first thing in the morning after they had woken up. I would even leave notes for the children who cannot read. Their inability to read was not a problem because they just rushed to me with their notes waving in their hand asking me to read it to them. This made them just as happy as if they read it by themselves. They too were being encouraged and uplifted. I feel leaving notes is a great way to help your children start their day! ! A morning filled with words of encouragement and love.
In these notes I remind them of just how much I love them, I write things to encourage them especially if they are feeling down. I share scripture verses with them that are meant to inspire them and lift them up. I share with them what a blessing they are to our family. I remind them how each one of them plays an important role in our family unit and without them our family would be incomplete. I remind them how special they are and how God has created them for a very special purpose.
I share what good deeds I have seen them recently do. I also remind them that I am always there for them no matter what I may be doing. It is important to me that they know I am never too busy to listen to what is on their heart.
If there are areas I feel they need to be stronger in I write out scripture verses that apply to their areas of weakness. Every time they read those verses I know it is being spoken over them and into their lives. The WORD is being hidden in their hearts. I would also write out verses that focused on their strengths. Whenever those verses were read I saw it as a way of reinforcing the strengths they had within them.
In my notes I would ask them how they were doing and if there was anything on their minds or hearts that they wanted to talk about. I share how proud I am of them and how much I believe in them. I let them know I believe they can do anything they want to do as long as they applied themselves 100%. But most of all they need to remember to ask the Lord Jesus for His help. Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
My notes are always filled with unconditional love, encouragement, blessings, words of belief I have in them and who they were created to be. Guidance, openness, my words are always uplifting and are never judgmental.
I never realized just how much my notes meant to my children until one day I stopped writing them. Something happened in my life that caused me to stop writing them notes and I just never started it up again. I had no idea just how much they truly enjoyed receiving those notes because they never told me so. Shortly after I stopped writing those notes I began receiving notes from my children. Sweet notes filled with love, encouragement and scripture verses. I enjoyed receiving them so much. Then I would be asked are you going to leave me a note too mom?
Then one day all my children began begging me to start writing them notes again. It was at that moment that I realized just how much of an impact my notes were really having on my children and their lives. Although they never indicated that the notes made a difference to them I later found out just how much of a huge impact the notes had on them and their lives! I completely understood because I myself was throughly enjoying receiving all the notes they were giving to me! Note giving and receiving is so loved by us all that it has now become a regular tradition among children and my myself.
Even though my husband and I have one on ones with our children as a way of allowing them to share what is on their hearts with us. These one on ones gives us alone time with each child allowing them to open up their hearts and share their most inner thoughts and desires with us when no one else is listening. It is a place of safety. Yet I find that I still like to write the notes because I see them as another way to share my heart and love with my children and it allows them another way of sharing their hearts with me. I also find that sometimes in the one on ones it is harder to tell your children where their weak areas are when you are face to face. It is truly a much gentler approach to share with your child the areas you feel they need to work on when you write it on paper.
As for my older children even though I write them notes we also like to text one another, email back and forth or chat via AIM. I find this as a great way to communicate especially when it comes to talking about something embarrassing that may be hard to talk about face to face. We do it if they are out with dad or in their room and they just want to chat. I enjoy these moments very much. I love that they are choosing to come to me, they are choosing to spend their free time with me, their mother and that is all that matters to me not how they are doing it. I love that they trust me so much and that they feel open enough to share their hearts with me.
So for any of you mothers out there that may be struggling with communicating with your children. If you feel a gap between you and your precious ones young or old, start writing them notes of encouragement and love. Do it every day. Build them up. Let them know how much you love them. Focus on their good. Notice what good you see them do. Fill them with scripture verses. I promise you if you do this everyday you will be tying strings of love with them. They may not show you at first how much they like it but believe me they will. If you did it for 2 weeks and then stopped you would find them looking for the note and they would seem quite disappointed if it was not there. Text them, email them, chat via instant messaging. Write hand written notes. Do what it takes and watch the wall come down brick by brick (note by note). You will be glad you did. Build your relationship first before sharing areas they need to work on. Writing notes is a way of sharing the good and the bad. It is also a way of preventing confrontations and it allows each person to share their heart without it turning into a fight or a battle of the wills. It is a safe way of working out issues that need to be worked out where both people can be heard without harsh words being exchanged.
When the time comes that you feel you can now share in the areas they need to be working on, always remember to be loving and gentle when writing your note to them. Be willing to also ask them what areas they would like to see you change in. Be humble and do your best to work on those areas! Give this system a try moms! I think you will be pleasantly surprised and you will have your child's heart back if you lost it or are in the process of losing it! Many may be saying you don't know my child. They are hard and cold towards me. Well don't give up mom. Every child wants their parents love and acceptance. If you start it and continue it I promise you it will bridge the gaps that have formed. Happy note writing and be blessed dear mothers! Share your praise reports with me! I would love to hear them!
Dearest Lord,
I pray for each and every mom out there who may be struggling with having a happy relationship with their children. I pray you help them take these steps necessary that will heal their relationship and build loving new ones. I pray for other mothers who just want to strengthen their relationships with their children. Let these note writing sessions build strong relationships that they long for! In Jesus name I pray, Amen~
1 comment:
Hi Brenda,
I'm writing to you from Australia. I have helped to establish here an encouragement foundation, www.theencouragementfoundation.com.au where our vision is to encourage you and together we encourage others.
I send out a prompt twice a month on encouraging hints and tips on various areas. This month I'm doing on family and did a search to see who else believes in the value of family encouragement. I was so touched and so in agreement with what you have said and just wanted to say "thank you" for sharing some amazing hints and tips.
I would love if you were interested in perhaps writing this is a smaller version so that I can publish this on our blog.
Bless you heaps and have an amazing day.
Julia
Post a Comment